Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Brainstorming - FaceBook Connect
Hello MybbAddons.com members,
as some of you might have noticed I am at the moment working a lot with facebook, I released a new plugin (Facebook Suite) here and got a smooth integration with push and pull of data at my comm site Zaiendo.de

Next logical step is the often wished FaceBook Connect plugin.
I do at the moment have a plugin that does login a user from FB into the forum and these are the features:
- register at your forum with facebook, transferring avatar (profile image), birthday, email and username from facebook
- connect an existing MyBB account with FaceBook (bridge login)
- check for FB friends at the forum (if accounts are synced)

I do also plan do display the latest status updates from Fb inside profile (of course with en/disable function).

Now I do need your feedback, what would you like to see as additional features? I thought I could maybe do an auto-posting to the users profile on FB when he creates a new thread or something like that...
Anything you could think of? Please post Smile

By the way, plugin is not close to release, don't expect it too soon! I just wanted to do a brainstorming to get some ideas.

Best regards
Lennart Sauter
Forum Admin
Hi lennart this is something big, facebook is about the best bridge to mybb for social networking. I would suggest maybe an integration where you can add friends requests through the forum, towards the facebook request pages. Also a full bridge to facebook online lists, so you can cross chat from board to facebook direct.

Thanks lennart you rock
Thank you for your support scarface!
What exactly do you mean with the add friend requests? You mean that a facebook user in MyBB can add other MyBB users with integrated FB account to their friend list at FB?

Best regards
Lennart Sauter
Forum Admin
Hi Boss

Thats exactly what i mean it would be great, perhaps on postbits and profiles main pages you can access the feature, and there would be a facebook add friend button, perhaps also an addon where there would be fb notifications integrated to mybb. Example john is online and he has posted on your wall......

Hope this helps or gives you some ideas my friend.....
This sounds very promising! Some of the options sounds good, as long as they can be turned on and off. I would have thought being able to link Gallery Pro to your Facebook pictures would also be a good idea? Have the option to transfer pics from / to?

Maybe also an option to notify on Facebook when you get a PM on MyBB and vice versa?

If someone does sign up with their Facebook details, I assume they will still be able to choose a username, and have their actual name hidden if needs be?
(05-18-2010, 07:18 PM)scarface Wrote: Hi Boss

Thats exactly what i mean it would be great, perhaps on postbits and profiles main pages you can access the feature, and there would be a facebook add friend button, perhaps also an addon where there would be fb notifications integrated to mybb. Example john is online and he has posted on your wall......

Hope this helps or gives you some ideas my friend.....

That are good ideas indeed and I will try the best to implement them Smile
Thanks!

(05-18-2010, 08:28 PM)Disciple of Nagash Wrote: This sounds very promising! Some of the options sounds good, as long as they can be turned on and off. I would have thought being able to link Gallery Pro to your Facebook pictures would also be a good idea? Have the option to transfer pics from / to?

Maybe also an option to notify on Facebook when you get a PM on MyBB and vice versa?

If someone does sign up with their Facebook details, I assume they will still be able to choose a username, and have their actual name hidden if needs be?

I plan that all options can be switched on/off seperately.
I'm not sure about the integration of galleries, did not look into FB photos yet and I am not sure if FB can integrate them properly.

The PM is an excellent idea, should really be done!

At the moment I'd take their facebook name as username, real name will not be displayed (if it's not the FB username allready).
However, I think they should be able to change their username via MyBB functions if that is enabled.

Thanks for your participation guys, excellent ideas!
Forum Admin
Posting certain updates on Facebook would be cool but it certainly should be disabled by default as not everyone would like that.
Thumbs Up 
is not free, but thanks from Indonesia!
Lennart, if your plugin is currently at the point that the FaceBook connect is working that is awesome. I currently have afrothunder's login with Twitter and Windows Live plugins working on my forum, as well as Labrocca's My Tweets plugin.

I can't wait for you to release your's too and will be one of the first to incorporate it.

If you have the login with FaceBook part working now, and are willing, It would be awesome if you could release that now, and I'd install it right away. And, I'm sure lots of otherr people would subscribe just to be able to get their hands on a FaceBook connect plugin.
I don't want to have a rushed release on this, especially because FaceBook loves to change their APIs a lot. I got my hands on the third, completely different, Php API now and had to recode a lot of stuff.

There are also some unsolved questions with MyBB UserCP integration and facebook settings that have to be solved.

Also keep in mind, that the user table should still work if the plugin is deactivated, merging MyBB forums has to work properly which means I have to take care of all data that MyBB does need.

And finally I'd not like to have a two page tutorial - I'd like a completely (or as far as possible) automatic plugin.
Forum Admin