Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Learning how to code
Hi,

I have been thinking recently that in some ways it would be so much easier if I kad the knowledge to be able to do some small codes and plugins on my own.

Now I don't mean big ones, like the gallery one here - for that I would still need these sites.

But for other things it really would be helpful.

Now currently I have very little / next to no training etc in coding. I know a tinsy bit of CSS to help out with layout and that's about it.

So the question is: How hard / easy would it be for me to learn coding, what is the recommend way to lean (pay for a course, try to teach myself etc), and realistically how long would it take until I would expect to be competant to so somethings for my site?

Cheers

DoN
I am not a teacher so I can't tell you the best way, but maybe my own experience might help you.

I started coding for myself, with small HTML-tutorials and lateron wrote my own sites. For me, learning to code was a slow, lasting process that did not reach an end so far and probably won't reach an end at anytime.
I am getting better every day, with every plugin or site I do create. For new challenges, I do learn new possibilities which I then also use on older stuff.
For example, zaiendo.de started out really basic and had a lot of different concepts.
At the moment we do officially run version 2 but the cms framework I did build is something arround version 5.

I paid nothing for this knowledge, I learned it all by myself without assistance using the tutorials that are arround in the web.
In my opinion, this is the best way to learn. Books are often too old allready and can not keep up with the newest changes in web development, tutorials are published every single day online and mostly for free.
There are excellent HTML and PHP manuals, describing every function in detail with example code.

How long would it take you- that really depends on the time per day and even more important on what you want to achieve.
I published a german HTML tutorial which can be used to produce a complete static website within 60 minutes without any other knowledge.

There is, however, one important fact, that you should keep in mind. You can probably easily copy some code and create your own plugins in a short period of time. However, it takes more time to know the tricks of hackers, possible security problems and performance knowledge.
Learning this stuff eighter requires a lot of experience (learn by mistakes, when the first hacker was successful, you will see what you did wrong Big Grin ) or a lot of knowledge from tutorials.

If you are interested in coding and have fun writing scripts - go for it!
If you just need some plugins it might be easier to pay someone - or wait until somebody else does it.

By the way, the best script for a website is always a custom script in my opinion. That's a reason why I do not use joomla, typo3, wordpress or any other pre-build CMS on my sites, they all run a custom cms by me.
The only exception I made so far is with MyBB Smile

Best regards
Lennart Sauter
Forum Admin
(06-17-2010, 12:20 AM)Lennart Wrote: I am not a teacher so I can't tell you the best way, but maybe my own experience might help you.

I started coding for myself, with small HTML-tutorials and lateron wrote my own sites. For me, learning to code was a slow, lasting process that did not reach an end so far and probably won't reach an end at anytime.
I am getting better every day, with every plugin or site I do create. For new challenges, I do learn new possibilities which I then also use on older stuff.
For example, zaiendo.de started out really basic and had a lot of different concepts.
At the moment we do officially run version 2 but the cms framework I did build is something arround version 5.

I paid nothing for this knowledge, I learned it all by myself without assistance using the tutorials that are arround in the web.
In my opinion, this is the best way to learn. Books are often too old allready and can not keep up with the newest changes in web development, tutorials are published every single day online and mostly for free.
There are excellent HTML and PHP manuals, describing every function in detail with example code.

How long would it take you- that really depends on the time per day and even more important on what you want to achieve.
I published a german HTML tutorial which can be used to produce a complete static website within 60 minutes without any other knowledge.

There is, however, one important fact, that you should keep in mind. You can probably easily copy some code and create your own plugins in a short period of time. However, it takes more time to know the tricks of hackers, possible security problems and performance knowledge.
Learning this stuff eighter requires a lot of experience (learn by mistakes, when the first hacker was successful, you will see what you did wrong Big Grin ) or a lot of knowledge from tutorials.

If you are interested in coding and have fun writing scripts - go for it!
If you just need some plugins it might be easier to pay someone - or wait until somebody else does it.

By the way, the best script for a website is always a custom script in my opinion. That's a reason why I do not use joomla, typo3, wordpress or any other pre-build CMS on my sites, they all run a custom cms by me.
The only exception I made so far is with MyBB Smile

Best regards
Lennart Sauter

Very good reply! Good advice.
I think so too...
hi Lennart,...
nice sharing and learning dear,..
its very useful and helpful for many persons,...
Register (for free) to hide the ads.
just take your first step , if you are ambitious about it , and work hard it would be good for you and you will learn fast .
i think w3schools website is usefull for you. thank you
yes. i like w3schools and best website
nice. very nice. w3schools best website