Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A better store......
I have looked far and wide for a store for my forum, yet they all have something missing. None of them do all what I want, and none of them have some features which I think would be very much sought after.

Basically I think it would be good to have a store which either ties in which current points systems, or comes with its own. There then should be options to spend your points on things that members will actually want to. For example:

The normal “items”- this are normally just pics that go on a members my item section. Most stores have this.
Download certain files, such as PDF’s, pics etc
To pay to change their username, customer user title, group etc.

The following are ones which I haven’t yet seen other shops do, and which I think a store needs to set itself above the rest:

Purchase account upgrades. Basically this means that everyone’s account in a group is set as basic, avatar size, sig size, banners in postbit etc. Then members can “upgrade” their account by for example, spending 30 points to upgrade their allowed avatar size from 100x100 (if that was the basic) to 120x120. Or upgrade their allowed sig size from 100 characters to 200, upgrade the number of pictures allowed in their sig and so on.

Basically it would be things that people would spend their points on, I know for a start my members would.

Another thing that would be really good, is the ability to be able to buy into to a section on the forum. By that I don’t mean forums in the index, but I mean specific areas and pages. For example the gallery addon, it would be good to have the option for members to have to buy in or they don’t have access. Considering how these pages are setup, I would imagine that option would include generating a code for the admin to put into the php file they want access limited to, that would then tie in with the authorisation somehow placed into the users profile.

I know that I would use this for members to pay access into Chat and games pages.

The main thing of the above suggestions would be to do it without User Groups / Promotions, as you don’t want to be creating umpteen million groups for every different change.

So a big idea, and perhaps a lot to work on – is it feasible at all?
I lately translated MyPlaza Turbo from english to german for a client and was impressed by the features the Plaza offers (I never used it myself as I had no fitting forum).

I think it has all the features that you are looking for and if some are missing you could use modules to add them.
Forum Admin
I wasn’t going to use the MyPlaza as it is no longer in production, the author is replacing it with entirely a new system called NewPoints. However if you recommend it, I will have a look. In regards to the one suggestion about limiting access to certain pages, if it doesn’t have that module do you think that would be some you could do?
MyPlaza is no longer supported? That's bad, that might cause heavy problems with MyBB 1.6...

I don't know how MyPlaza and the modules do work but I guess it should not be too hard to do. However is if is not going to have 1.6 compatibility I won't suggest using it.
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
Need professional support? PRinguin, the Digital-Agency. For web design and online marketing.
Register (for free) to hide the ads.
I do want to use NewPoints, the only thing that is stopping me is the lack of the shops functions. Currently you can only buy items which add little pictures to the users item page.

I need the following:

Change username
Change usertitle

I really want the ability for a user to buy access to a section without having to change usergroups, or for all my (planned) sections I will need literally loads of usergroups for the different variations.

Would this be a plugin for the shop you can create Lennart? I would be willing to pay an amount if needs be - I don't have much money by I could pay £10.00 - £20.00?
I did not look into the shop system yet and how it handles plugins and which restrictions it might have so I don't know if I can do it.

I will have a look into it if I find some time...
Forum Admin
Hi Lennart,

Thank you very much! I would really appreciate if you can do it, and in the meantime I will continue telling everyone how good MyBBAddons and you are! Smile

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.