Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Convince me
Okay, so I want to make forums. So, reach me, make me your brother. /Simpsons reference

So yeah, anyways, why should I use myBB as my forum host? What makes it better from other forum hosts (ipbfree, smf, phpbb, etc.)?
Well I don't really know how to answer this, but If you manual install and manage (not by forum hosting support), MyBB package is smaller than phpBB and SMF (MyBB - 3.04 MB, SMF - 4,78 MB, phpBB - 7.46 MB) that will give you more time effeciency when uploading (if you have slow upload connection like I do).

MyBB is easily modded compared to phpBB. Don't get me wrong, SMF is more easier if you goes to mod. It's just upload and click, even you don't have to unzip the package! SMF will do it all for you, but sometimes SMF package installer cannot do all required steps, and MAYBE (it's just maybe. I've experienced it only once) get buggy and that requires you to manual edit the code. I hate modding phpBB, it consuming too much time! (Eugh.. SQL database edit, template edit, file edit, and so on). I bet free forum hoster don't allow us to install our own modification without their permisson.

Forums created by MyBB and SMF are load faster than phpBB when it goes big (depend on server tough, but if you install it on same server, you'll notice).

SMF has some ugly outdated look and layout, which I don't really like, MyBB and phpBB look and layout is standard.

So, no forum are perfect for now. Consider taking SMF or MyBB. I don't like phpBB.